- Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Centre with the approval of the Vice Chancellor and management of Federal University Wukari started Certificate Course in Basic Computer Application. The course was designed for all staff who are interested in working proficiently with Windows and Microsoft Office packages. Non-university staff is also allowed to enrol for the course.
The objectives of the course are to bring out competent human resources for promoting the applications of computer/ICT; to acquire a clear understanding of Windows, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint operational functions; learn practical skills to develop and operate Windows functions and the three Microsoft Office packages; be a professional in the four modules of the course and to be a competent and skilful staff.
The unique features of this course which centers on its teaching methods are participative learning through active involvement in the practical classes; training support (tutor and supervisors) during all the classes; practical learning/hands-on-training from the experience of qualified tutors; and feedback during practical classes.
Course Certificates are awarded at the Institutional Level (Information and Communication Technology Centre) on completion of two months training. The course fee is ten thousand naira (N10, 000) but the University Management gave scholarship to FUW Staff at five thousand naira (N5,000).
Other certificate courses to be run in 2013/2014 are Advanced Computer Applications, Web Design & Management, Computer Networking & Management, and Computer Hardware Maintenance & Servicing. All units participate in the teaching of these courses under the Training Unit.
- ICT Centre monitors and manages the university information (staff/student records) and database along with FUW operating systems administration, power infrastructure support, and supply of information to units/departments/faculties in desired formats. Works with faculty and departmental examination officers as technical support programmers to produce examination results using the University Result Manager.
- ICT Centre maintain the Campus Network, all servers connected to the network security management and network infrastructures in all buildings on campus and also provide Internet Services.
- The concept of In-house training programmes are initiated to enable each unit develop and exchange appropriate skills essential to improve on their experience and productivity. Also short programs within and outside the University community are open to staff of the centre and the university.
- ICT Centre troubleshoots and maintains all University computer systems, accessories, printers, and photocopiers. The unit also performs the routine maintenance of Computer Laboratory, eLibrary and ICT Training Centre systems.
- ICT Centre manages and updates of FUW website, acquisition and management of virtual libraries, electronics books, teaching and learning aid, virtual laboratories and lecture materials and making them available to staff and students on the Internet.
- ICT staff are deployed to faculties, departments, units, etc. as Technical Support.